Friday, February 15, 2008

Sorry

So on the same day of the Australian parliament's historic apology that hopefully changed one aspect of Australian culture and tradition, i have to admit that i continued on with another intriguing part of our nationhood.

It's a phenomenon that happens to every Australian living overseas; just as after a few drinks you mysteriously recollect all the words to Waltzing Matilda that you hadn't had to sing since kindy, at some point, every Australian will be confronted with the choice of whether or not to perpetuate the great mythology of the DROP BEAR.

I couldn't help it. The victim was a sweet Finnish girl from my university. The main perpetrators were tourists from Sydney and i was simply an accomplice. After they had talked to her she came up to me and asked if it was true.

"Zeze boyz outside, zay say zere is zis sing, which comes down and ripps your eyz out?"

She gave a really good impression of the drop bears claws and how they dig in really deep to a victims face.

I couldn't help it because it was ladies night (don't laugh, everyone laughs when i say that they let me in to ladies nights) so it's free drinks, and she was so convinced. So i just nodded and smiled and said that it was true.

But this sort of thing makes me wonder about natural universal justice, and whether every Australian who has ever perpetuated the myth to innocent europeans will one day have a huge scandinavian man drop down from their ceiling and gauge their eyes out.

And this is why i sleep with the light on...
(but mainly becuase Jessica is on skype.)

1 comment:

Jessie said...

I confess I told that story to my year sevens. I taught my year eights the word "bogan" for a spelling test - I had them write it down in their books and everything! one day I'll teach my a-levels what "no wuckers" means. then, I think, my work here will be done.

Am impressed re: waltzing matilda. I don't think even I know all the words to it - though I do know the second verse of the national anthem (mostly). Do you spontaneously burst out into song? I tend to sing "there'll always be an england" or "jerusalem" at collectives of english people when I feel they are in need of some patriotism. Or when I'm walking along by a field.